SPONGE CAKE - Sponge mix


Sponge cake is the basic for most cream cakes. I use it a lot and in desperate moment, I would opt for the sponge mix instead of making my own genoise. Therefore, I can have my blueberry, blackforest, cream cheese cake and a dozen other cakes ready in no time at all. However, not all brands of the store-bought sponge mix call for the same amount of ingredients in the recipe. The most common one I have come across is the following:

1. 500g sponge mix
2. 500g whole eggs
3. 125g water
4. 125g vegetable oil/melted butter

Procedure: Using whip, beat 1, 2 and 3 until thick or until ribbon trails are developed.
Using spatula or hand, fold in oil

Bake in a preheated oven 180C (9" tin). The above recipe yields 2 tins of 9" cake.

Having tried all sorts of brands and flavours of sponge mixes, I find my own recipe. The safest to go with all brands of mixes.

1. 500g sponge mix (vanilla or chocolate).
2. 8 eggs (grade A or B)
3. 100 water
If only vanilla sponge mix is available, but you want to make chocolate instead, add a tablespoon of chocolate emulco
4. 100g oil/ melted butter

Procedure : same as the above. The result: A soft and tender sponge cake. Leave it for a few hourse before decorating. Chill it before torting.

5 comments:

  1. salam kak min...

    berhempas pulas ptg tadi menguli doh
    ingat nak praktik apa yg di belajar hari tuh
    tapi knp sweet bun 1 tuh malu2 jer kembang nyer..
    walhal.. dah ikut semua resepi yg ada kat kertas.. tapi x per la... sedap jugak.. hahhhahha.. kena cuba lagi nih...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamualaikumwbh Min...
    Hi this is Ayu. I enjoyed the class very much much, u know what I have done 2 kg bread so far..the best part is I developed my own bicep and triceps this uli menguli...tangan funyer....

    Cud u pls email me that nozzle note we have in butter cream class? Thank u so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. qistina, yis apa yg digunakan? dan masa untuk proofing berapa lama?

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha..selamat mengembangkan triceps mu ayu...ur email add pls..

    ReplyDelete